When you are satisfied that you have answered every question to the best of your ability, check
your answers using appendix A. If you missed eight or more questions, you should review the
chapter, paying particular attention to the areas in which your answers were incorrect.
1. What are the two basic classifications of antennas?
2. What are the three parts of a complete antenna system?
3. What three factors determine the type, size, and shape of an antenna?
4. If a wave travels exactly the length of an antenna from one end to the other and back during
the period of 1 cycle, what is the length of the antenna?
5. What are the terms used to identify the points of high current and high voltage on an
6. What is the term used to identify the points of minimum current and minimum voltage on an
7. The various properties of a transmitting antenna can apply equally to the same antenna
when it is used as a receiving antenna. What term is used for this property?
8. The direction of what field is used to designate the polarization of a wave?
9. If a wave's electric lines of force rotate through 360 degrees with every cycle of RF energy,
what is the polarization of this wave?
10. What type of polarization should be used at medium and low frequencies?
11. What is an advantage of using horizontal polarization at high frequencies?
12. What type of polarization should be used if an antenna is mounted on a moving vehicle at
frequencies below 50 megahertz?
13. What is the radiation resistance of a half-wave antenna in free space?
14. A radiating source that radiates energy stronger in one direction than another is known as
what type of radiator?
15. A radiating source that radiates energy equally in all directions is known as what type of
16. A flashlight is an example of what type of radiator?
17. What terms are often used to describe basic half-wave antennas?
18. If a basic half-wave antenna is mounted vertically, what type of radiation pattern will be
19. In which plane will the half-wave antenna be operating if it is mounted horizontally?
20. Because the radiation pattern of a dipole is similar to that of a doublet, what will happen to
the pattern if the length of the doublet is increased?
21. What is the simplest method of feeding power to the half-wave antenna?
22. What is the radiation pattern of a quarter-wave antenna?
23. Describe the physical arrangement of a ground screen.