1. Tile and linoleum are not used on a wood floor if the floor is not reasonably solid and covered with a smooth
2. The rafter spacing is the same as stud spacing (a), 4-foot on center.
3. The lap joint and the vinyl seal joint are the two common methods used to make weatherproof vertical joints in
exterior walls (c).
4. Two major modifications include the use of floors that are of double thickness and of walls and roofs that are
insulated (a). Heat is supplied by individual stoves or heaters.
5. The common metals used in construction are listed in the electromotive series in the following order: 1-aluminum
(b), 2-zinc, 3-iron, 4-tin, 5-lead, 6-copper. When two of these are in contact the lowest number is corroded. The farther the
separation in the list, the greater the corrosion.
6. Roof panels are built according to the climatic conditions that exist where the building is to be used. Insulated
panels are used in both hot and cold (c) climates.
7. A bay is the distance between columns along the side walls (d). There is no limit to the number of bays that can
be placed end-to-end to form a building.
8. The glazing clip fits between the edge of the lass and the frame. One end fits into a hole in the frame and the other
end hooks over the edge of the glass. The glass should be cut shorter than the sash by the thickness of two clips (b).
9. The standard size of the quonset hut is 20 x 48 feet. The floor is made of 4 x 8 foot sheets of plywood.
20 x 48 =
960' area of floor
4 x 8' =
32' area of plywood sheet
30 sheets plywood (c)
10. The brace rods between the roof beams serve to hold the bay square, and the sag rods (b) are used to prevent the
girts from sagging between the columns.
11. The sags rods are used to prevent the girts from sagging (b) between the columns. They are also used in the roof
12. Nails, screws, and bolts (c) are used
In the assembly
of the quonset hut. These are easily removed
disassembly of the unit is required.
13. Prefabricated metal buildings are constructed of many types of metal, but galvanized sheet metal and aluminum (a)
are the most common metals that are used in this construction.