Lesson 1/Practice Exercise
PRACTICE EXERCISE FOR LESSON 1
Check your understanding of Lesson 1 by completing the practice exercise. There is only one
correct answer to each question. Try to answer all of the questions without referring to the
When you have completed all of the questions, turn the page and check your answers against the
correct responses. Each correct response is referenced to specific portions of the lesson material
so that you can review any questions you have missed or do not understand, before continuing to
the next lesson.
1. What does a bituminous wearing surface provide?
a. asphalt cement
c. rapid curing
d. mineral filler
2. One function of a bituminous binder is to:
a. hold the aggregate together.
b. bind the tars to the surface.
c. bind the asphalt to the road surface.
d. help the surface water to seep into the road base.
3. What type of asphalt cutback is composed of asphalt cement and gasoline?
d. road oil
4. What type of aggregate gradation consists of aggregate particles that are all approximately
the same size?
5. What are two characteristics of aggregate?
a. soluble and rough
b. nonskid and smooth
c. rough and angular
d. soft and dense